- RSS Channel Showcase 8212031
- RSS Channel Showcase 6689537
- RSS Channel Showcase 1534984
- RSS Channel Showcase 8471943
Articles on this Page
- 08/08/13--19:00: _Secondary Schools D...
- 08/12/13--18:00: _Some fun debates
- 11/27/13--13:00: _Debating is meant t...
- 05/03/15--18:00: _2015 Press Freedom ...
- 08/09/15--15:00: _Some great debates
- 07/04/10--21:52: _That the Government...
- 07/07/10--15:00: _Well done Vic
- 10/25/10--20:00: _The Vic VC’s Debate
- 02/27/11--18:06: _Victoria University...
- 07/13/11--19:39: _Well done Victoria ...
- 10/16/11--17:00: _A great debate in W...
- 04/20/12--17:00: _EPMU Press Freedom ...
- 05/30/12--16:00: _A paid parental lea...
- 07/02/12--12:00: _The 2012 Australs
- 07/14/12--15:24: _Australs Finals
- 07/15/12--22:21: _The Australs Grand ...
- 10/17/12--17:00: _Should only politic...
- 03/10/13--17:38: _The Great Comedy De...
- 04/22/13--14:00: _The Knuckleheads vs...
- 05/20/13--01:22: _The living wage debate
- 08/08/13--19:00: Secondary Schools Debating
- 08/12/13--18:00: Some fun debates
- 11/27/13--13:00: Debating is meant to cover controversial topics
- 05/03/15--18:00: 2015 Press Freedom Debate
- 08/09/15--15:00: Some great debates
- 07/04/10--21:52: That the Government should promote atheism
- 07/07/10--15:00: Well done Vic
- 10/25/10--20:00: The Vic VC’s Debate
- 02/27/11--18:06: Victoria University Great Debate
- 07/13/11--19:39: Well done Victoria University debaters
- 10/16/11--17:00: A great debate in Wellington tonight
- 04/20/12--17:00: EPMU Press Freedom Debate
- 05/30/12--16:00: A paid parental leave debate
- 07/02/12--12:00: The 2012 Australs
- 07/14/12--15:24: Australs Finals
- 07/15/12--22:21: The Australs Grand Final
- 10/17/12--17:00: Should only politically literate vote?
- 03/10/13--17:38: The Great Comedy Debate
- 04/22/13--14:00: The Knuckleheads vs Politicians debate
- 05/20/13--01:22: The living wage debate
The Secondary Schools Debating Council has announced: Thirty six of New Zealand’s top secondary school debaters will gather in Wellington this weekend for the National Finals of the Russell McVeagh New Zealand Schools’ Debating Championships, hosted by Victoria University of Wellington. The two best teams will meet in the Grand Final on Monday 12 August […]
The NZ Initiative has three debates coming up, where some of NZ’s best debaters will argue on topical issues. They are: That NZ should be going for population growth, Wed 14 August, Ernst & Young, Auckland That alcohol should not be taxed more than soft drinks, Thu 15 August, Mac’s Brewery, Wellington That if you’re […]
Stuff reports: An international debating competition held in Wellington has been criticised for mooting that girls should be told to drink responsibly to avoid sexual assault. The New Zealand British Parliamentary Debating Championships hosted by Victoria University last weekend debated that “This House, as a parent, would tell their daughter to drink responsibly to avoid sexual assault”. […]
From Brent Edwards: The EPMU Press Freedom Debate will be held at the Backbencher Pub on Thursday, May 7. Doors open at 5pm but the fun debate itself will start about 7.15 to 7.30pm. The debate will raise money for the Media Safety and Solidarity Fund which supports press freedom and journalists’ safety in the […]
The NZ Initiative has announced: Next Generation Debates Semi-final in Wellington Tuesday, 11 August 2015 | 5:30 pm | Register for Wellington Where: Mac’s Function Centre, Te Aro room, 4 Taranaki Street Moot: “This house would legalise euthanasia” Panellists: Hon Maryan Street (former Labour MP) and Dr Stephen Child of NZMA Next Generation Debates Semi-final […]
On Saturday Night I dropped into the Australs – the Australasia university debating champs which have been hosted by Auckland University all week. The Saturday night was not the normal teams, but a women’s night, with the top eight female debaters debating in four teams of two. The moot was “That the Government should promote […]
Congrats to Victoria University Debating Society who won last night the Australasian Intervarsity Debating Champs. As I blogged previously, they have been going on at Auckland over the past week with around 100 teams from all over Asia, NZ and Australia. NZ had five teams make the octo-finals – the most in at least twenty […]
This debate should be lots of fun: If you wish to attend, you can RSVP on Facebook, or by putting VC Debate in the subject line of an e-mail to Vic Uni. Tags: debating
The Victoria University Great Debate is on Tuesday March 1st at 6.30 at the Student Union Building’s Hunter Lounge at Victoria University. The moot is “that there should be a universal liquor allowance for students“. For the affirmative: Simon Bridges MP James Nokise (two times Billy T Award Nominee) Josh Cameron – allround funny debater […]
Congratulations to the team of debaters from Victoria University of Wellington who won the Australasian Intervarsity Debating Champs in Korea last night, the world’s second largest debating tournament with over 115 teams. It is the second year in a row that Victoria has won the tournament, and the fifth time since 1975. The tournament features teams […]
I’m in Auckland and gutted I will miss the Vice-Chancellor’s Debate tonight. But if you are in Wellington and want an entertaining 90 minutes I recommend you pop into the Vic Law School. Date: Monday 17 October Time: 6:30 pm Location: Old Government Buildings lecture theatres (on the Stout Street side of the law school) […]
Stuff reports: The annual EPMU Press Freedom Debate will be held on Thursday at Wellington’s Backbencher Pub. MPs Winston Peters, Simon Bridges, Annette King and Lianne Dalziel, comedian Pinky Agnew and journalist Patrick Gower will debate whether politicians should be hacked off with hacking journalists. Proceeds go to the Media Solidarity and Safety Fund. Last […]
The VUW Debating Society has a debate tonight on paid parental leave. It is in Rutherford House Lecture Theatre 2 starting at 6.30 pm. The debaters are: Sue Moroney, Labour Spokesperson for Women’s Affairs Paul Callister, Victoria University of Wellington Economist Barbara Lambourn, Advocacy Manager, UNICEF Max Harris – Champion Debater Richard D’Ath – Champion Debater […]
Debating fans in Wellington have a treat in July. The 2012 Australs are on from Sunday 8 July to Monday 16 July, with sponsorship from Russell McVeagh. The Australs are the second largest debating tournament in the world, and you’ll see some of the world’s best performing. The schedule is: Round 1 – Tues 10 […]
The Australs debating semi-finals are this morning and finals tonight at the Paramount Theatre. The two semi-finals this morning are Monash 1 v Vic 1 and Monash 2 v Sydney 2. The final teams are not yet known of course. Topics only get assigned 30 minutes before the debates start, so I don’t know what […]
It may surprise few people that I am a big debating fan. I took part in debating at school, and have enjoyed the sport ever since. Seeing people advocate for a moot, and rebut the arguments on the other side is great intellectual fun. You’re mentally critiquing the teams, while also enjoying their style and sometimes their […]
The annual Vic Uni Debating Society Vice-Chancellor’s debate is: Thu 25 October 2012 Rutherford House LT 1 Starts 6.30 pm Refreshments after the debate The topic is: That passing a test of political literacy should be a condition of voting The Government team will negate the motion, consisting of: Alfred Ngaro, List MP for National Stephen […]
Vic Debsoc have their great comedy debate tonight at 6.30 pm in the Hunter Lounge. Details are: Come and watch some great debaters and comedians debating the topic “The rent is too damn high!” This year we are delighted to announce an absolutely fantastic line-up of comedians and debaters for this event. Including former Billy […]
On Thursday May 9th, the annual EPMU media freedom debate will be held in the Backbencher. These debates are to raise money for the Media Safety and Solidarity Fund which provides support to journalists and other media workers under threat in the Asia-Pacific region. Just a month ago three Pakistani journalists were murdered in a […]
This debate is tomorrow (Tuesday) night. James Sleep from the Campaign for a Living Wage (and the SWFU) is the guest speaker for the affirmative and Luke Malpass from the NZ Initiative is the guest speaker on the negative. Members of the debating society will also be speaking. Tags: debating, James Sleep, living wage, […]